Bacon dates back to 1500 B.C. and is one of the most popular meats in America! The salted and cured pork was first noted in China and spread throughout the Roman Empire where the word bacon means “meat from the back of an animal”, although, in America it normally comes from the side of the pig.
- In Europe and Canada bacon is made from the back of a pig, which is leaner while the pork belly that Americans use is usually filled with more streaks of fat.
- In America, more than 2 billion pounds of bacon is produced each year!
- In America, 70% of all bacon is eaten during breakfast
- During World War II, bacon grease was used to make bombs, gunpowder, and other munitions
- The average American consumes 18 pounds of bacon each year
- In Ann Arbor, Michigan there is a bacon camp that features speakers, cooking classes, and bacon-related activities
Bacon is a staple in the American diet. You can find us eating it at every meal, including dessert with the delicious candy bacon. It is an obvious American style staple.
Not only is bacon found to be eaten by itself, but it can be found in countless recipes!
Read here for 62 Best Bacon Recipes, including Bacon Jam!
By: Amanda Overy, Marketing Intern